The preferred method of transporting gas cylinders is to let a professional gas transport company handle it, but there might be times when that is not an option. In those cases, you need to know how to do it yourself properly.
Model # GR2275FS
Here are guidelines for how to transport gas cylinders safely:
- Try to limit the number of cylinders that you are transporting.
- Ensure the cylinder contents are clearly labeled.
- Ensure the cylinder valve is in the fully closed position.
- Use valve protection caps before moving.
- Use cylinder dollies or other mechanical lifting devices to move the cylinders to the vehicle.
- Never drop the cylinders or allow things to bang into them.
- An open vehicle or trailer is preferred.
- Transporting the cylinders in an upright position is always preferred.
- Secure the cylinders in the vehicle or trailer to prevent movement during transit.
Secure With a Stand
The USA Safety Truck Transport Stands provide a safer method to transport gas cylinders. When the stand is properly bolted to the bed of the vehicle or trailer the polypropylene strap(s) included prevent the cylinders from falling over and the locking post and ring plate prevents up and down movement of the cylinder.
A cylinder safety cap with the stand is required for proper use. If you have any questions about these stands or other products we carry please contact us.
Cylinder Transportation Disaster on Video
To get an idea of how dangerous transporting gas cylinders can be take a look at this highway accident video of a gas cylinder delivery truck:
Every situation is unique and it is best to consult with your local authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) to be sure all safety requirements are being followed.